Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 8 College Football Roundup: PSU = Big 10 Champs?, WVU Gets Knocked Down a Peg, Pitt Doesn't Lose





Syracuse 49, WEST VIRGINIA 23
- I was shocked at how poorly WVU played this week against a Syracuse team that isn't bad, but isn't necessarily good. I'm not overwhelmingly surprised that they lost (even if I did predict them to walk all over 'Cuse), but I can't believe that they were never even really in it.

- West Virginia's first half woes finally came back to haunt them. It's amazing how different their team looks from half to half. If they don't begin starting strong, their strong finishes won't mean anything.
- If there is any silver lining in West Virginia's loss it's that it will certainly be a wakeup call that shows them that they aren't nearly as good as they think. When the Pitt fan in me comes out, I'm not really a huge Dana Holgorsen fan, but I think he's a good coach and his players will respond. Or at least they better if they don't want to leave the door open for Cincinnati, Syracuse, Rutgers, or Pitt to steal this conference.

PENN STATE 34, Northwestern 24
- I've criticized this team often this year, but I think I'm sold on them now. Even while the offense has sputtered, the defense has salvaged every game with the exception of the game vs. Alabama. This week they showed offense that hasn't been there all year even when their defense struggled a bit. This team has a shot at big things all of a sudden.

- FINALLY! Joe Paterno went with one quarterback and did it ever payoff. I don't know why it took so long, but it doesn't matter. They would be 7-1 either way and that is extremely impressive. I think that will go a long way in finishing the season strong against a crop of BCS bowl contenders, if not national title contenders.

- Since their record is 7-1, I think the pressure that Paterno would have faced is gone. There's no way you can push the guy out, especially if he gets to double digit wins. As many times as I or anyone else has doubted the guy, his teams seem to always respond. That has to speak to the man's abilities as a leader, if not a head coach. His record-tying 408th win speaks to his abilities as a head coach.

DUQUESNE 37, Wagner 21

Bryant 34, ROBERT MORRIS 27




Articles:
None this week, but they'll return soon! For now check out the links section to find all the news you'll need about your team!




-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog