Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Week 6 College Football Roundup: WVU, PSU Win Again, Pitt Gets Demolished



Rutgers 34, PITT 10
- Where in the hell did the Pitt team that took down #16 South Florida go? If you've read this blog before you know that I had high hopes for this team coming into the season. Those hopes have been somewhat stifled by a less than stellar start to the season but, after last week, I never expected Pitt to get obliterated against a bad Rutgers team the way that they did. I thought their flaws were fixed and they'd be a top 25 team by season's end. Right now, I'm just hoping they are even in the Big East race when the Backyard Brawl rolls around.

- Have I ever mentioned that I hated Tino Sunseri? I give the guy his props for playing the way he did against USF, but he took any love I had for him away with this week's performance. Watching Trey Anderson play though, I can't believe that Mark Myers isn't a better option. Heck, I'm even willing to see what Anthony Gonzalez can do (although I will admit he's done pretty well as an h-back so far). There is no way that anyone can tell me that there is no better option than Sunseri.

- Everyone and their grandmother knew that Rutgers was going to bring blitzing, blitzing, and more blitzing... except for Todd Graham. He took blame for not having his players ready to face the blitz, but that's not enough. I don't know much about what he did in his Tulsa days, but right now I'm starting to think it wasn't as brilliantly mapped out as his records may indicate. I have faith in the guy, but at least have the guys prepared each week if you aren't going to win.

- How bad was it for Pitt Saturday? I am inclined to believe that no team has ever been penalized for having two players with the same number on the field on the same time. Well... Pitt did it...


-  Somebody posed this question and I'd have to say I'm not entirely opposed to it: Why doesn't Pitt run the wildcat with Ray Graham. If one of the team's four quarterbacks can't figure out the offense, why keep trying. Let Graham, the nation's best rusher, do what he does best and pound the ball down the opponent's throat. At this point, there isn't much to lose, but these guys playing quarterback isn't helping any either. I know it doesn't fit the system, but if none of these quarterbacks are the future (and we already know Sunseri isn't) then what is the difference.

WEST VIRGINIA 43, Connecticut 16
- This team takes a long time to get going but I doubt that will hurt them. They've blown out every opponent with the exception of #1 LSU, and their remaining schedule is far from difficult. Geno Smith is the main difference maker.

PENN STATE 13, Iowa 3
- I have to admit, I'm backing off on my comments implying that this team isn't that good. They are and they will compete for a Big Ten title. All in all, I think they fall short because of coaching, but the players, particularly on the defensive side of the ball are better than people are giving them credit for.

- Matt McGloin has outplayed Rob Bolden especially in recent weeks and I'd love to see what this offense can do with the stability of a one quarterback situation.

- I'd really like to see this team play Alabama again. The instability at quarterback would certainly still hinder Penn State, but that defense is superb. If they could keep Bama off the board they'd have a great shot.

- I'm not an Urban Meyer fan by any means. I think he's a quitter. When the going got tough, he quit. He's jumped from place to place over his career and I can't see him hanging around in Happy Valley for the amount of time most people would like after Joe Paterno's lengthy stay. So no I do not think it's the right move. However, no matter how poorly Penn State may appear to be playing they are 5-1. I think an 11-2 record with a bowl win should more than satisfy the Paterno doubters.

Albany 38, DUQUESNE 10

ROBERT MORRIS 45, St. Francis (PA) 14




More Articles from the web on all three local teams:

Pitt


Audio:


Penn State
West Virginia

Duquesne


-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog