Friday, October 14, 2011

Game 5 Penguins Hat Trick



  • This question was posed on 93.7 "The Fan" in Pittsburgh: Who are the Penguins three stars so far this season? My answer: Kris Letang, Matt Cooke, Marc-Andre Fleury. Sorry to James Neal who deserves to be in there as well.
  • The taunting Arron Asham did after his knockout punch on Jay Beagle was, indeed, "classless" as he put it. However, he's taking way too much heat for the incident. First of all, he apologized and called himself classless. Since when does America not forgive people when they take responsibility. Secondly, what Asham did was in the heat of the moment and no different than a touchdown dance. He wasn't picking on the injured player, he was letting his emotions do the talking. I, personally, thought it was funny. I don't condone it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't funny when it happened. And the worst part about the whole situation was Beagle fighting with a visor on! That was the most bush league thing about the whole ordeal. I don't care if you're a "fighter" or not, you DO NOT fight with a visor on.
  • 8 out of a possible 10 points so far without Sidney Crosby and a couple of games without Evgeni Malkin. Am I really being all that biased when I predict this team as Stanley Cup Champions?





Articles:
Barry Melrose: Asham-Beagle fight was a message-sender
James Neal looks like the real deal
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_761811.html
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_761796.html
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_761590.html
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_761410.html
Penguins' Asham apologizes for knockout punch
Arron Asham And Jay Beagle Give Hockey A Fight To Fight About

-

3 comments:

  1. I think you just made a double standard there. If Arron Asham still played on the Flyers and did that, especially to a Penguin I have a hunch you would have taken a slightly different stance on this one. Although I don't disagree with you, as Asham has always been a really stand up player in his career, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW you were going to comment with those exact sentiments, however I don't have double standards and I do take exception to the comments you've made.

    When Matt Cooke was suspended last year for hitting everyone in their heads, I applauded (or at least I did until others committed the same crime and didn't receive any penalty). When James Harrison was crying about being called for "illegal" hits, I was the first to call him a baby and ay he should learn how to hit.

    Trust me, I take everything on a case by case basis and Asham did nothing wrong except taunt a guy in the heat of the moment. He apologized. No harm, no foul.

    I realize you agree with me, but I should be able to take a particular stance on a matter without being labeled a homer. You also said "I already knew who you'd pick to win the Super Bowl" when reading my NFL Season Preview. But was I wrong to think that the Steelers, coming off of an AFC conference title, could win the Super Bowl? Am I wrong to think that the Penguins, who recorded their second best record in franchise history last season, while Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal combined to miss well over 100 games, could win the Stanley Cup this year? Hell, I'm not even the only one to pick the Steelers and/or the Penguins to win their respective titles this year!

    I understand that my opinion may be somewhat skewed, (whose aren't?) but I HATE the Phillies and Eagles with a passion and picked each to make deep playoff runs, including picking the Phillies to make a World Series appearance.

    The easy argument is to say, "Oh of course HE said that about HIS team," but the fact of the matter is I only deal with facts. Without objectivity, this blog serves less purpose than it already does.

    That said, I appreciate you reading my articles. Especially as a Flyers fan reading an article about the Pens. Maybe you should write a "Flyers Hat Trick" article for this blog. I'd love to have it if you'd like to write it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my comment is primarily to get a response from you. I just have a hunch if Scott Hartnell did it (not that he fights very much, so very unlikely) if it would be different, partly because of his history. Asham is a goon, pretty much nothing more, but has a relatively respected reputation, unlike some more noted "pests" like Hartnell, or Scott Stevens back in the day, or Sean Avery to name a few. So I think if it was one of them, or maybe a Tie Domi, it looks a little different.

    I have a few hatreds in sports, but most of them are non existent because the teams are so mediocre, i.e Mets, maybe the Devils getting kind of week too, although my Cowboys hatred runs deep, I root for 0-16 every single year, so I love watching Romo choke late in every single game right now, even if football is my third favorite sport. With Crosby out, I am having a hard time with my Penguins dislike too, but as soon an he comes back it will be back in full force.

    Yes, I do read everything on the blog, I think you underestimated Rutgers a little bit in last week's matchup, just like the "experts" did picking them to finish last in the East, that defense is actually very good, the offense, not so much, although you did get to see the man who was going to be the future QB at Pitt due to the injuries at Rutgers. Doesn't mean I thought they were going to beat Pitt though. I could give it a try if you want, but I make no promises that it will be worth reading, or that I can keep it totally unbiased.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog