Monday, July 18, 2011

Twelve Pirates Talking Points


Here are twelve questions posed by Bob Smizik on his blog on postgazette.com (Original Post). So I've decided to answer them all for your benefit. 


Q: If the Pirates could add a player at only one of these five positions -- starting pitcher, relief pitcher, outfielder, first baseman, third baseman -- what position would you choose?

A: First base if there was anything out there. I like James Loney a lot, but I don't think the Bucs will be able to get him. Carlos Pena may help if he comes cheap, but with his batting average hovering just above the Mendoza line he may not be the best fit. So my answer is third base. 

Q: Why?

A: Pedro Alvarez has struggled this season and bringing in a rental player at third base would give him all the time he needs to get back to his late 2010 form. Plus, if Alvarez does start hitting bombs with regularity again, he could be the answer at first base to replace the underachieving Lyle Overbay. 

Q: What player would you acquire to fill that position (be reasonable)?

A: Some talk of bringing back Aramis Ramirez to fill the gap at third has arised and I love the idea. He wouldn't make it past this season with the club (he has a $16 million option for 2011), and he'd be a heavy burden on this year's payroll, but he'd warrant little in return. The biggest issue is that Ramirez has said he will not waive his no-trade clause. That sticking point may be impossible to get past. If not Ramirez, there are a few other names out there that I like, but it wouldn't be as significant of a move.

Q: How many games will the Pirates win?  What place will they finish?

A: It's taken me a long time to really believe that this team is doing what they're doing. As of today, the team is 49-44 and just a 1/2 game behind the Brewers for first place. I'm of the belief that the Pirates will finish over .500. I suppose if I have to pick a number I'll say 84 wins. Unfortunately, that won't be enough to make the playoffs. The Cardinals are a good team and I think they're only getting ready to peak. The Cardinals also have much more disposable income and will add some vital pieces at the trade deadline that the Pirates just can't match. So while the Bucs will stay consistently strong for the remainder of the season they just won't be able to match the Cards. I do think they'll be the stiffest competition within the division and finish second though. My heart says they'll win the division, but the reality is that it will be extremely difficult.
Q: In terms of number of wins, how few would constitute the season being a disappointment for you?

A: Before the season I said that anything less than 70 wins would be a major disappointment. In perspective that would have been an increase of 13 wins from 2010 and a major accomplishment alone. However, with the team playing as well as it has all season long, I'd have to say anything less than 81 wins will disappoint everyone.
Q: Should Neal Huntington be extended?

A: I don't know. But barring an epic collapse, he has to get extended.
Q: Should Frank Coonelly be extended?

A: If Huntington does then yes. If Huntington doesn't then no. These two are kind of a package deal and it would be best to only keep one if the other stays as well. I think Frank Coonelly is a moron, but as long as the people under him are doing their jobs, then he'll keep his.
 
Q: If you live locally, how many games have you attended this season?  How many will you attend from now until the end of the season.

A: I've been to three. No more or less than usual by this time of the year. Their performance also won't predicate if I attend more games or not. I'll want to go more, but even with below average prices, there are only so many I can get to without ending up in the poorhouse.

Q: What do you expect the combined attendance to be of two games tonight and tomorrow night against the Reds?

A: I'll hope for sellouts, but I don't see it on a Monday and Tuesday. So I'll go with 50,000 combined. 

Q: Which one of the following young players would you not trade:  Matt Hague; Brad Lincoln; Chase d’Arnaud?

A: Chase d'Arnaud. Shortstops are extremely hard to come by and d'Arnaud, in my eyes, will border between average and above average. He seems like he'll fit the same kind of mold as fan favorite Jack Wilson, and he'll make up for what he lacks in defense with speed. Lincoln and Hague have been fairly impressive in the minors, but neither projects to be a superstar, and they both play at positions where they could be replaced easily.

Q: How many home runs will Pedro Alvarez hit for the Pirates the rest of the way?

A: I'm going to go with ten. I expect to see him in the majors soon enough that he'll have time to hit ten homeruns. I don't think he'll get back to his 2010 form that fast, but he will turn it on towards the end of the year.
Q: When both are healthy, who should be the starting shortstop: Ronny Cedeno or d’Arnaud?

A: Cedeno. But I think both will start with d'Arnaud moving to third base. If a trade is made to upgrade third, I still see Cedeno holding onto the spot. He's a veteran and is having one of his better seasons as big leaguer. Even if he tapers off, his numbers would still outshine d'Arnaud's current statistics.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog