Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia Week 4 Preview



Things I'll be looking for this week:

Pitt at Notre Dame:

  • Pitt to rebound - They're coming off an extremely tough loss against a decent Iowa team and I'm imagine they have to be hungry. Notre Dame is better than Iowa, but Pitt is still better than both teams. It's unfortunate that Tino Sunseri couldn't hold his own. That could be the only kink in Pitt's plan to win the conference.
  • Trey Anderson to play - I used this one last week, but I'm doing again. Tino didn't play well enough in the Iowa game, but with a lead of 24-3 and 27-10 how can you take him out. I still think once it got to 27-17, Pitt should have seen he couldn't cut it and made the switch. Hopefully Sunseri will play well enough to keep Pitt in it though.
  • Holding a lead - Pitt should lead in this game at some point, and it may be a similar situation to last week at Iowa. Now all Pitt needs to do is finish better. Again, I'm going to pick on my favorite whipping boy Tino Sunseri and say it ALL starts with him. People questioned the defense and Todd Graham's coaching decision to keep playing for points, but not enough was blamed on Tino. His job was to complete short passes and keep the ball moving last week and he couldn't do it. If he can finally start to, Pitt will roll to an easy win in most games this season.
  • Tino Sunseri making me eat my words - So after all of that I end with this. I actually don't see this happening, but I'll be looking hard for it. Graham wants him to be the guy while he grooms Trey Anderson, and Sunseri has yet another opportunity. I really hope he does and if so Pitt will win big.

Penn State at Eastern Michigan:

  • Win by a ton - Penn State is a 29 point favorite and I think that's too high. They need to show that they are still somewhat of an elite program, otherwise I'm thinking that their season will be closer to 7-5 than a Big Ten title. And for goodness sake, pick a $&*%(!@ quarterback.

West Virginia at LSU:
  • Defense, defense, defense - Both teams have been tremendous defensively and I imagine this game will be relatively low scoring especially considering the style of offense West Virginia runs. The better defense could very well dictate the winner.
  • Geno Smith to solidify his Heisman candidacy -Geno has been excellent, and I think his numbers can and will get better as he gets further acclimated with the new offense. But being on a national stage against the nations second ranked team, he can cast himself right into the voter's minds with a win and a big day.
  • A win - A lot of people are going to pick against the Mountaineers, but I can't. Dana Holgorsen has a pretty good thing going and I really think he may join the elite level of coaches sooner rather than later. This game can be a huge statement game.


Our mixed bag of articles for the week that will get you prepared for Saturday:

Pitt can prove its ACC-ready against Irish

Penn State

West Virginia

Duquesne


-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog