Monday, September 12, 2011

Around the NFL: Ravens soar to big win over Steelers



It's been a long time since the Steelers were manhandled, embarrassed, throttled, dominated.... okay, okay. They simply looked a team that didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Ravens. The good news? Somehow, they still looked better than a few teams this week. Let's go around the NFL and I'll give my views on the week one action with a heavy emphasis on the Steelers of course.



Ravens 35, STEELERS 7
  • If you needed anymore evidence that the preseason is irrelevant, the Steelers turned the ball over seven times after not giving the ball up once in four preseason games.
  • Why was Ben Roethlisberger still in the game at the end. There's no reason to have him in there and he nearly got decapitated with less than three minutes to go. I don't question Tomlin too often, but yikes.
  • Speaking of questioning Tomlin, how do you have one of the league's best linebackers on the sideline in a 14-7 game. I like Larry Foote, but he is no James Farrior and he was a big factor in why the Ravens took a 21-7 lead before halftime. For all of our sakes, I hope we don't see that again.
  • I'm sick of the talk about the defense being too old. Wasn't this just the league's best defense a year ago? Not to mention, the Ravens aren't exactly spring chickens on that side of the ball either and they looked pretty darn good. I'd love to see this logic applied to the real world.
  • Anybody else get the feeling that the Ravens may have already won their Super Bowl? Their players sure sounded like it after the game. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a rapid decline in this team.
     
  • If the league wants to send a message, they need to fine, and suspend, Jarrett Johnson for his hit on Hines Ward. That hit is exactly what the NFL wants to take out of the game. I realize there is a five, sometimes ten, yard zone where you can bump a receiver, but I'm pretty sure you can't just tackle one during a pass play. Not only that, but the hit was on a defenseless receiver coming across the middle of the field. I can't say it's surprising that no penalty was called on the play...
  • The Steelers had more than 1/3 of the number of turnovers they had all of last season, Roethlisberger threw 3/5 as many interceptions as last season, and the Ravens had a 100 yard rusher. Even if the Steelers go 0-16, do you think that you'll see those kind of numbers again? You won't. Which is what leads me to believe this game is nothing more than an outlier.
  • Sunday's game was the clearest indication of why the Ravens won't get over the hump. John Harbaugh's ego got in the way of what could have been an even easier victory. Up 29-7 and in field goal range, the Ravens opted to go for it and didn't get it. The Steelers immediately marched down the field and were stopped when the Ravens intercepted a pass in the endzone. Had the pass been completed, and it should have been, it would have been a two score game with 22 minutes left when it could have been a four score game. This after a decision to fake an extra point in a 20 point game. The Steelers won't forget that. The Ravens didn't need to add anymore fuel to this fire.
  • I'm stunned by the amount of criticism going the secondary's way. Ike Taylor held Lee Evans without a catch. Bryant McFadden had perfect coverage on the opening touchdown and it's not like Boldin had a huge day. I'm pretty sure cornerbacks and safeties don't typically cover running backs and tight ends. Those positions ended up with 150 yards of Joe Flacco's 224. And the secondary is only the LAST line of defense on running plays, where the Steelers struggled mightily. Somebody explain where the secondary is at fault here?
  • Sick of my optimism yet Steeler fans? Well here's a little more. The next six games are against weak opponents. Seattle comes into Pittsburgh next week, followed by the entire AFC South, and finishing up with Arizona. That doesn't exactly instill any fear. After that, they face the Patriots and Ravens in their toughest stretch of the season. And finally, they finish with the Browns and Bengals twice, the rest of the NFC west, and the Chiefs. In a bad year, the Steelers should go 10-6. That's normally good enough for the playoffs. I'm going to stick with my 13-3 prediction though.


Around the NFL
  • The Packers offense is really good. Their defense is suspect though and I don't think they'll clean it up at any point. This will cause them to lose a few games but, all in all, a run to the Super Bowl is probably more likely than not.
  • I've never been a Jay Cutler fan. He sucked and still thought he was good. Nothing irks me more. But the new and improved Jay Cutler is one I can get behind. The Bears said he came into camp mentally prepared and in great shape. If that's true, count me in as a believer. I expect the Bears to be a Super Bowl contender and, yes, I am basing that off of one game.
  • Bruce Gradkowski is the best quarterback option for the Cincinnati Bengals. That said, Andy Dalton should remain the starter provided that he is healthy enough to play. The Bengals won't make the playoffs so they need to groom the guy if he's going to be their next franchise quarterback. 
  • Matt Stafford is going to be a great quarterback. Coming off of injury after injury, Stafford looks like he's only improved. I fear that his career will be over too fast because I think he will remain injury prone, but I'll go ahead and let the Lions' fans enjoy it while it lasts.
  • What happened to the Chiefs? I don't know so I won't even try to figure it out, but I will say this: Conservative Matt Cassel needs to go. Throw the ball man!
  • All of the talk about the Colts being bad without Peyton Manning will continue, but I chalk their week one loss up to a bad day. Are they a worse team without Manning? That's a dumb question actually. Are they this bad a team without him? No. Kerry Collins will need to play better and he will. 
  • I've seen enough of Cam Newton to say that maybe there is some hope of him being a good player in Carolina. I always thought he would be a good NFL player, it just wouldn't be here. But I think it's fair to say that there's plenty of potential for big things.
  • Maybe Rex Grossman is better than Donovan McNabb. I've stated that I always thought Rex Grossman was underrated, but I'm surprised that he performed as well as he did with minimal starts the last few years. I'm much more stunned by Donovan McNabb's performance though. 39 yards?!?!?! If he throws for 139 the Vikings win their game. He didn't and I'd say the leash is getting really short, really quick.
  • Tony Romo did what Tony Romo does best. He choked. I'm sorry, but the guy is just never going to be an elite level quarterback because he can't win a close game. The Cowboys should have won that game. It wasn't all Romo's fault, but it all starts with your quarterback. 
  • And for my Eagles' fans, I wasn't going to write about the Eagles because they did what they were expected to do and beat a lesser opponent. Not being able to stop the run will hurt them. Cadillac Williams ran all over them and I'd imagine that Steven Jackson would have done even better had he played all game. You can have the best cornerbacks in the world, but if you can't stop the run, you will not win.


And the myriad of articles after the Steelers' debacle:



-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog