Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Week 9 College Football Roundup: Pitt Loses Three Key Players, PSU Wins Another Nail-Biter, WVU Holds Off Rutgers



PITT 35, Connecticut 20
- Well, well, well. Pitt is back in contention and can anyone really write them off right now. The way the rest of the Big East is playing, this is more like an NFL division than an NCAA conference. How even these teams are is astounding. I'm not going to put all my eggs in Pitt's basket, but there can't be anyone left saying that West Virginia or Cincinnati is the class of this conference.

- Boy, when Tino Sunseri runs the ball he looks fantastic. I've been saying that for a while now, and I'd still like to see him run more. He looked infinitely more confident in the dulled down offense and maybe we'll see more 300 plus yard passing days.

- Cam Saddler and Matt Rotherham went down with season-ending injuries and that's highly disappointing. But nothing may change the course of Pitt's season more than Ray Graham going down for the year. The silver lining, if any, is that maybe we'll get to see him one more year and that would be huge for this program.

-I guess there may be another positive if Tino Sunseri plays the same way all year without Ray Graham. That was one of the best games at the quarterback position that I've ever seen from Pitt and it was reflected on the stat sheet.

WEST VIRGINIA 41, Rutgers 31
- West Virginia's loss to Syracuse was definitely an eye-opener to everyone including themselves. I thought they'd bounce back with a strong performance, but they looked horrible against Rutgers. Luckily they were the more talented team and still eked out a win. 

PENN STATE 10, Illinois 7
- Why in the world would you go back to a two quarterback system? I knew coming into the game that they probably would, but I still couldn't believe it when I saw it. You know what? It doesn't matter. They won and as Mike Tomlin says, no style points are given. A win is a win.

- I know they have some really difficult games left, but if they can get two wins, they'll be in the Big Ten championship. Even one win may get them there. I like their chances either way.

- Just throwing this out there, but if Penn State wins out, are they in the BCS National Championship? It's been a weird season for them, but I'd have to imagine 12-1 gives them as good a shot as anyone else. I don't see it happening either, but I just thought I'd ask.

DUQUESNE 16, Monmouth 0

Sacred Heart 27, Robert Morris 15












-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog