Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fourteen Talking Points and Is Bill Cowher a Hall of Famer?



As always, I'm grateful to Bob Smizik of the Post-Gazette for giving me something to write about. So here we go with another fourteen talking points.


1.  How many games will the Steelers win this season?

A: Twelve. Definitely no less than eleven and I'd say thirteen is very possible.

2.  What is your greatest concern about the team?

A: Dick LeBeau versus a competent coach/quarterback combination. Forget how bad the secondary may or may not be. When you play defensive backs ten to fifteen yards off the line of scrimmage, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady will exploit it. Why others can't figure it out is beyond me, but that's all that scares me. And even then I believe the Steelers can win any game.

3.  Is Bruce Arians a convenient scapegoat or is he truly a poor offensive coordinator?

A: The fact that this is a question is ridiculous. The guy is truly horrendous. The Steelers win in spite of him, not because of him. The Steelers could absolutely (I'd probably even go as far to say easily) put up 30+ points in every game without him calling the shots. However, the players he's been given are so talented that they do it anyway. I'll be very happy when he's gone.

4.  Is Dick LeBeau too old?

A: This is even worse than the last question. The guy is an extremely gifted coordinator and isn't slowing down. He could probably go quite a few more years before we'd have to actually ask this question.

5.  How does Mike Tomlin stack up against Bill Cowher?

A: Wow. Um... I'm going to say Tomlin is a better coach and will have a better overall career, but that's hard to say because I think Cowher is a surefire Hall of Famer even though some wouldn't agree (Joe Starkey of the Tribune Review's take on Bill Cowher's Hall of Fame chances). I think the easiest way to settle this argument for Tomlin to win at least one more Super Bowl. There's no arguing with success and the biggest measuring stick is Super Bowls. I'll give Tomlin enough credit to say that he may reach Chuck Noll's four Super Bowls before all is said and done, but that's still a ways off. 

6.  How many yards this season for Rashard Mendenhall: Less than 1,000? 1,000 to 1,200? more than 1,200?

A: Over 1,200. He's the feature back and may even approach 350 carries this year. I'd be hard pressed to think he'll average less than 3.5 yards per carry.

7.  How many catches for Hines Ward: Less than 50? 50 to 75? more than 75?

A: 50 to 75. I think Ward will have a good season, but with so many receivers lining the depth chart, there's no way he gets more than 75.

8.  How many times will James Harrison be fined by the NFL: None? One? Two? More than two?

A: Maybe once. I think he's learned his lesson, but I wouldn't be shocked if we see him not only get fined, but suspended as well. I highly doubt it will happen continuously this year.

9.  What teams will meet in the Super Bowl?

A: The Steelers and Packers. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it never happens especially not in an era built on parity, but thanks to this year's lockout, both of this teams will have a decided advantage. Neither made a splash in free agency and that's what makes them so dangerous. They didn't need to learn a new system or deal with new teammates. The Eagles are a trendy pick, but with limited time to mesh, I think they made a mistake in their approach to this season. So I'll go with the XLV rematch. 

10. How many games will the Pirates win this season?

A: Well I've more than shown I can be wrong about this year's Buccos so I'm far from qualified to do this again. But I will. I'll go with 75 wins. It will still make this a successful season in my eyes. 

11. What is their greatest off-season need?

A: A third baseman. The Pirates are set just about everywhere. Starting pitching and the bullpen are fine. Chris Snyder likely stays at catcher. First base goes to Pedro Alvarez. Neil Walker holds onto second. Ronny Cedeno at short. An outfield of Jose Tabata, Andrew McCutchen, and Alex Presley with Garrett Jones filling in. That only leaves one spot. Other upgrades may be needed/wanted, but I feel comfortable with that team.

12. Who is their MVP: Joel Hanrahan? Andrew McCutchen? Neil Walker?

A: None of the above. This easily goes to Jeff Karstens. With a few more great outings, he'll finish in the top 5 for the NL Cy Young, and really was the catalyst for the Pirates fantastic midseason run.

13. How many of its 12 games will Pitt win this season?

A: This may be my "homer" bias again, but I'm going to say they finish undefeated. To me, they are the class of the Big East and I believe they will win it outright. Obviously no game in the conference is guaranteed and Notre Dame should be a stiff test, but I feel that Pitt has way more talent than people believe on both sides of the ball. Anything less than 10 wins and a co-championship would make this year the biggest bust of the millennium for Pitt.

14. Will Sidney Crosby be in uniform for the Penguins opener?

A: Yep. Not sure why I would think otherwise. He's been skating and working out, contact is all that remains and I fully expect he'll respond well when it happens.





1 comment:

  1. You are truly a Genious! You should be writing for a major newspaper/magazine. You're so insightful and admitted "homer" biased but that's what makes what you write so great! Continue the great work and I hope soon, you'll be a wonderful columnist somewhere, so many more fans can read your outstanding articles! Thanks again for posting your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog